Friday, April 16, 2010

A little bit of history - Part 1

I went to the Voortrekker Monument for the first time in my life last year. It’s one of the popular historical monuments in South Africa.
My mom decided to take my cousins on an outing and so my brother, sister and I went with. And then, a week later I went again with my other cousins. I find it funny how in 21 years I’ve never been there and then suddenly in a month, I’m there twice.SONY DSC SONY DSC SONY DSC SONY DSCYou enter the monument in the Hall of Heroes - a hall where the floor and walls are covered in marble. The walls have carvings that illustrate the story of the Great Trek.SONY DSC SONY DSCSONY DSC SONY DSC

The central focus point of the Monument is the Cenotaph (which means empty grave). On top of the Hall of Heroes is an arch from where one can view the interior of the Monument. It is through an opening in the arch that the sun shines at twelve o'clock on 16 December each year onto the middle of the Cenotaph and the words, 'We for thee, South Africa'. The ray of sunshine symbolises God's blessing on the lives and endeavours of the Voortrekkers.

SONY DSC Below the Hall of Heroes is the museum which displays all the collected Voortrekker (Pioneer) memorabilia. SONY DSC SONY DSC SONY DSC This bronze sculpture

pays homage to the strength and courage of the Voortrekker women and family

.SONY DSC SONY DSC SONY DSC

If you love learning about the history of the country then the Voortrekker Monument is definitely something worth checking out. I’m glad I was there, if only to see the amazing craftsmanship of the people that built it.

 



Happy Friday everyone!

No comments: