Saturday, February 6, 2010

Dear internet...

I don’t know how to blog.

I read blogs like Jasmine Star and Natalie Norton and I’m blown away by how honest, and raw, and REAL they are. They open up to the world as though everyone reading their blog is a close friend.
Previously, as I sat down to type a post, I’d think about what to say and how to say it (almost like a scripted phone call) - but that’s not me! I’m not a calculated, well edited person. So I’ve decided that from now on I’ll just type what I think... That’s how I write letters, type emails, so why not blog the same way too? That way, you’ll get to know ME as well as be able to follow my journey of trying to become a great photographer.



I say trying because that’s exactly what I’m doing - my photos are not great, not by a long shot, but I have noticed a great amount of improvement over the last 15months. And that’s all I’m hoping for... The more I improve, the more I like my photos, the more confident I become. I’m only starting to reach the point where I take a photo, look at the LCD and think “THAT’S what I wanted”. Slowly but surely I’m getting to know the ins and outs of my camera and the art of photography. It’s not simply aiming and clicking. I get so irritated when people say “Wow, your camera takes good pictures” - it’s not my camera! If it was my camera, why don’t the photos that my cousins take with my camera look great? I hate it when people take photos with my camera (is that wrong?). It’s as though I see the photo in my head, the way it’s supposed to be, someone else takes the photo and when I see it it’s not AT ALL what I was picturing! I feel so bad when people take photos with my camera and say “I took some great photos” and then they expect me to comment on the photos :S
I’m not saying I take amazing photos all the time, not at all... When I go out with my compact I just aim and shoot (that’s pretty much all I can do, it doesn’t even have a manual mode) so I have plenty of photos that are blurred, over- and underexposed, way too much flash etc. I’m just saying it’s not the gear taking the great photos, it’s the person handling the gear.

Anyway...
This is why I thought it would be bad to type what I think. Lol.

Since this is a photo blog, here’s something I took last July when we were at Mabula game lodge.SONY DSC Next time: a little ‘getting to know me’ post.

Hope you’re having a fantastic weekend!

No comments: